On 25/06/15 10:41, Simon Greenwood wrote:
I came across PeppermintOS[1] recently, which is an LXDE based
distribution but a nicely designed one that replaces Firefox with
Chromium and has an inbuilt system for Chrome app integration. I'm
running it on a four year old Lenovo AMD netbook which was starting to
struggle with Xubuntu and it's increased its battery life if nothing else.

That's interesting! My old pentium 4 has only 256 Mb ram. I'm going to try some old dimm cards to see if any are compatible - Mate and most other lightweights need at least 500 Mb - but Peppermint seems to be able to work with the 256 Mb that the machine already has. I'll give it a try.

I'm in the process of installing Mate on the other machine - it doesn't crash if I don't add nomodeset to the boot parameters. That's quite something.

Regards,                Barry.
--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/