I would just use the built-in guest session feature, and only create a real account (or even just a root password) for the staff.

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/shell-guest-session.html

"A guest cannot view the home folders of other users, and by default any saved data or changed settings will be removed/reset at logout. It means that each session starts with a fresh environment, unaffected by what previous guests did." (Presumably they can still write to, like, /var/tmp, but that shouldn't be a problem, and you can set up a thing to clean up that directory at logout if really needed.)

The normal behavior of auto-mounting flash drives to the current user works for guest users, too.

--
Geoffrey Thomas
https://ldpreload.com