My name is Linda, though I usually respond to S0rceress0 online. I live in
Corvallis, Oregon with my husband Che (Kereltis). I am first generation
American being born in So California. I have done many many types of work
from menial jobs to professional. My most notable positions were as a Soux
Chef for The Velvet Turtle, a firefighter for the California Conservation
Corps and a Gunners Mate in the U.S. Navy.I much prefer my life now as a
writer and researcher.
I got into Linux partially as a desperation measure. I was familiar with
the concept of Linux, and worked on Unix machines as a teenager, but I
still had windows machines until my Dell XPS started displaying symptoms of
motherboard failure from overheating. Installing Ubuntu 10.10 saved it from
certain doom. At that time I was unable to watch only a few shows here and
there online. I found that technology moved rapidly from then on and before
long I was able to use Netflix. I continued to use  Windows 7 on my desktop
computer, though I found I used it only for gaming and for watching an
occasional movie that Netflix did not have. Using Linux, whichever distro I
happened to appreciate at the moment, became so fluid and easy I swore than
when I could watch shows and game one major MMO, I would switch to Linux
permanently.
When Netflix became native, and World of Warcraft installed easily on
Ubuntu 14.04, I decided that the conditions had been fulfilled. I will
never use Windows again. In several of my college courses I also convinced
several other people to give Linux a serious shot through a series of tough
college essays on UEFI and open source benefits.
I would still classify myself as a joat. I know a little of several
programming languages, and enough knowledge in Linux to feel competent with
a generous amount of terminal commands. I cannot call myself an expert in
any single area, but I do continue to learn. My newest interest is the
Ubuntu Phone. I am fascinated by the thought of creating for it.
I am a pretty big geek gurl, I love games and Star Trek is almost a
biblical archway for me. (Hate those continuity errors though!) I write
like there is no tomorrow, and though I am religious, my religion is
tempered by the knowledge that anything in that religion could be answered
at any time by science, and I am more than willing to give way to it.
I cook gourmet food, I brew beer, and I really REALLY love good whiskey. I
am looking forward to a time when every single person on the planet has
access to education when ever they so please, and I think Linux will help
us get there.