Well, I'll be damned!  I built an amd64 package, and it works!  No
freezes, beautiful Compiz, all there!  Here's hoping this patch and the
newest patches from git will finally get us a clean fix released before
Karmic is out.

On odd note, though:  my now-standard test of looking at the Wikimedia
picture above was passed, but Firefox blacks out the image as soon as it
finishes downloading.  I'm going to wget it right now and see if the
system can display it normally, otherwise, we need to get this fix in as
soon as possible.

--
[i965] X freezes starting on April 3rd
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.