Thanks for testing to confirm the issue is the same root cause.  Let's
go ahead and dupe this one to that then.  I uploaded the fix to karmic
this morning, and we plan to SRU it to prior release(s) after there has
been sufficient testing on karmic.

(Btw, if anyone wishes to hunt around through the bug tracker, there are
probably many other dupes of 277069 reported against various
applications.)

** Changed in: inkscape (Ubuntu)

   Slow performance with remote X applications (java, firefox/xul, etc.)

--
inkscape and gimp takes a minute to start when run remotely through X x11 in
Jaunty - and inkscape draws slowly