I am with 10.04 and have no plans to jeopardize stability by upgrading
it. My source for xserver is one year behind some of the patches Bryce
mentioned. The latter do not build. Applying patches/or editing is not
possible as I see it. Apparently, the patched files are present in my
linux source directory. I was able to build
49d2ccab2a82083110fe796636f3f91ba8c31237 (version 2.9.99.901)  though.

which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.

  x server crashes with: [drm:i915_gem_mmap_gtt_ioctl] *ERROR* Attempting to
mmap a purgeable buffer