Gary,
Could you post the output of `lsmod` (from a terminal)? That'd give the list of
currently loaded drivers. I see that Ubuntu doesn't have fglrx (the propriety
ati driver) installed but I find it very odd that you're having similar
problems to all these fglrx users with a different driver (it seems that if
there was another bad ati driver out there, we'd probably be hearing about that
too), so I'd be interested in what driver the kernel actually has loaded.

Thanks,
Bill

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in ubuntu.

  Mixxx with ATI graphics card (using FGLRX) crashes Ubuntu