It's really worrying that noone is the assigner of this bug, when we are nearly
reaching the release day...
For me, installing package libcairo2 from Maverick (after modifying the version
number in the DEB to avoid automatic upgrading) fixed the problem without
evident regressions... But I didn't try Wayland, and I know it probably won't
load...
But I think that having this problem fixed in Xorg is more urgent than making
Wayland working, at this point of the release schedule!
So, I think, if noone wants to fix this in time, that it would be better to
bring back the Maverick library in Natty... At least until the problem will be
fixed!
Trust me, noone will use Wayland atm!

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia drivers lead to extra memory usage for each process using libGL