apologies,
                 I keep getting my .gconf corrupted which prevents unity from
back in and Unity is now loading as it used to do using the Radeon driver.

I still get graphics corruption (not the fkgrx black window issue posted here)
which is the Radeon bug with my specific chip-set.
I belive this bug is associated with the shared graphics memory on my netbook.
To avoid this I have to boot with radeon.modeset=0, which disables unity
anyway!

You should not have my driver bug so you should work with the basic
radeon driver and your hardware.... enjoy :-)

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  unity rendering broken with fglrx (black masks)