The problem has changed a bit with the upgrade to Natty, whoever there
still remains problems with initializing the proprietary nvidia driver.

I now see the following line in my Xorg log:
[    17.160] (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X
driver not found)

And with part of the change might be due to Unity.

During start up for the first time I now experience the following:
The OS loads as it did before, but now instead of falling back to a blinking
cursor, it now drops to an old fashion X prompt stating that lack of
acceleration forces me to use the old Gnome desktop instead of Unity.

Fortunately this now means that the machine is not rendered completely
useless like before, but simply lacks hardware acceleration and Unity,
while still allowing you to use Gnome.

However, interestingly Jockey/"Additional Drivers" now claims that the
proprietary driver is install and "active but not currently in use".

Thanks

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia proprietary driver unable to initialize