This bug and can be removed. Perhaps this laptop's Nvidia graphics card
can't handle Unity 3D. I still need to find a definitive answer. I don't
recall the 11.04 installer telling me, "Your graphics card won't support
Unity 3D," or a similar message.

Waited a couple of weeks and booted this laptop. Found that I could get
to a garbled white/black console where I blindly logged in and
performed:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Many packages were upgraded.

Rebooted the system and logged in but Unity 3D didn't appear correctly.
Moreover, saw blinking red, green, white, black, blue screens when I
attempted to revive the system from suspension. This has been indicative
of an improper setting of the Nvidia graphics card in the past.

I removed the restricted Nvidia driver 173 to test Ubuntu's Nvidia
driver.

Installed the Unity 2D driver and so far that is working for me.

** Package changed: linux (Ubuntu) => nvidia-graphics-drivers-173
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 (Ubuntu)

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 failed