Walter,

Are you SURE its not a performnce problem? There are many people who
report that the Gears app runs grindingly slow. My system ran very slow
on graphical performance. It was no where near as crisp and smart as
when using 10:10 (which I reverted to). Other reports are that the
version of the module does not match the version of the OS, which would
revent properloading of the module.

As an nVidia developer (I use CUDA) I was on a code line that could not
wait, which is why I reverted. I am somewhat tempted to upgrade again
and see exactly what is happening at the module level. And if necessary,
recompile the modules to see what happens.

Adrian

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  nVidia driver activated and apparently being used but reported as not
  being used by jockey-gtk