Here's what I mentioned to Bryce about this issue in a comment on bug
#933778 (a likely unrelated bug):

"I also noticed (and this is probably the topic for a new bug report),
that a particular operation in Chromium caused a new window to appear,
which is completely white, always on top, not associated with any
application, and difficult/impossible to close. I noticed that after
this happened, compiz is now consistently using exactly 24% of my CPU
according to top. The particular operation seemed to involve having the
autocomplete dropdown activated while also doing Ctrl+N, though I can't
remember exactly what combination of things were going on at that time.
I'll provide more details if it happens again, but the window is still
there if there's some diagnostics I can run to see what it is."

Since that was written, I no longer see compiz using 24% CPU; it has
fallen back to normal levels (about 2-5%).

Note that though this white window is always on top, it is not
clickable; any mouse operations affect the window behind it (for
example, I can select text in a browser window that is behind it and the
cursor changes to the text select cursor when I hover over text in a
window behind the white window).

As you can see, I was able to take screenshots of this issue.  It seems
that the white window is tied to all workspaces, but not to the X
display itself (since showing the workspace switcher moves the white
window onto each of the displayed workspaces; it does not keep the white
window on top of the workspace switcher itself).

If you need any more info about this issue while it is still present,
please let me know soon.  I plan to logout and log back in by the end of
today as it's impeding my workspace.  The bug does not seem easy to
reproduce; I haven't seen a new white window since I managed to create
one yesterday.  The steps for reproducing in the quoted section above
are the best I have.

  White rectangular