I have this sort of problem with 11.04 as well with Mint12 (KDE) after
installing anew. Suggestion "sudo rmmod psmouse && sudo modprobe
psmouse" doesn't help in my case. In my case I get repetively (and
always) rid of this problems with log off and then log on!  It seems
that any stuff that is "stopped" during logoff prepares for correct
mouse operation.

Note: in the case of ingoring left mouse key, sudo evtest
/dev/input/event5 (5 in my case) show up response of all mouse events,
but left mouse ignored by the desktop.

There is no difference whether I use the mouse directly on an USB port,
or via a USB/PS2-adapter pod. The mouse itself is generic simple mouse.

  Mouse clicks stop working sporadically