Hi,
I think X freezes with nVidia cards on multiple-core systems have been a major
pain for Linux users for a long time. My troubles began in 2008 on Ubuntu
"Gutsy Gibbon", when I upgraded my system to a dual-core Athlon64 X2. At the
moment I'm living (not too happily) with an ATi 3450 HD, which behaves horribly
in Compiz but, at least, doesn't freeze my system. Guess you don't make a great
bargain when you migrate to Linux for stability and you find out that a video
driver makes it even worse than in Windows!  ;)
Back then, I reported the bug here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-
modules-2.6.24/+bug/151382

As I said there, I believe my problems stemmed from dual-core kernel CPU
switching, coupled with nVidia drivers trying to distribute GPU load
over multiple CPUs. In post #21 I reported that looking around over the
net, I had found a way to reduce (not eliminate, though) the problem,
thanks to this command:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings

(you must be super-user to issue it)

It would be interesting to see if it can help with today's kernels, too.
I have no more my old nVidia card, but if someone wants to try it,
there's the more correct way that Martin Zuther suggested in reply to my
post:

"There is however an easier way to achieve it - just start your system,
open the terminal and type:

echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings

You can verify that it works with "cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/sched_mc_power_savings" "

Hope it helps find the reason of this sneaky bug!

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  X freeze, nvidia-current, Ubuntu 11.04 Maverick GeForce 9600GT