Hello Aaron,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on the issue.
In my case it does seem like a hardware problem, because the driver crashes in
Windows 7 as well. (It doesn't hang, however Windows keeps saying that 'nvidia
driver crashed and was restored'.) I can't tell whether the symptoms are the
same though, because I don't use Windows that much and don't know where to find
nvidia logs there.

Besides, sometimes after the crash I have to turn off my laptop for
several minutes, otherwise it repeats right after reboot. (Both in
Ubuntu and Windows.)

However, after I changed PowerMizer mode to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'
in nvidia-settings in Ubuntu, the issue disappeared completely. (I
changed it back to 'Adaptive' since then, because the fan was a little
bit too noisy.) Besides, now it happens less frequently (because of new
kernel version?) So it seems that even if it's a hardware issue, it's
triggered by nvidia driver.

I can't check nouveau, because it doesn't support my GPU (GeForce GT
555M). And the temperature was the first thing I looked into, it's not a
problem.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  X freeze, nvidia-current, Ubuntu 11.04 Maverick GeForce 9600GT