I've installed (and since deinstalled) the modified bios, but it enabled me to
do some testing.  The system was unstable, and would freeze hard every 3-5
minutes or so when in either sideport-only or uma-only modes.  However:
Graphics *seem* to work fine (either way, work much better) with things set
either to Sideport only or UMA-only.  Using sideport+uma caused massive
corruption, as 'normal'.

Interestingly, although the BIOS states that there are 64mb of sideport
ram, the system thinks I have 128mb when sideport-only is set in the
bios.

This seems to correlate with d4ddio's observation:
> I see indications several places that theres only 64M of sideport VRAM, but
> 384 == 128 + 256

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  [rs690m] Graphics corruption with ati x1200