#103 @Wal  Did you see the post right before yours?  Neither the 295.49
nor the 307.07 drivers fix the unity 3d /compiz errors for my card (280
GTX).  It seems I personally can run gnome (3D) however.

 If the problem is solely confined to unity and compiz, maybe it's not
the end of the world.  It's not like that interface is that useful,
though I do like compiz.  I wonder if kde will work?  Is it worth the
hard drive space?

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  [regression] Nvidia 295.40: Unity 3D does not work at all with the new
  nvidia driver