I have the same problem with 32bit Jaunty and a  Matrox g400 agp card
connected vga to  a 22" Westinghouse  LCM-22w3 monitor(1680x1050 max). I
only get low resolution.

If I switch to a 19" Samsung 913v monitor (1280x1024 max) I get full
resolution. It appears that xorg doesn't have the timings for some
monitors.

I would like to see the return of those handy tools to reconfigure
timings where you enter in the horizontal and vertical ranges.

--
Monitor not detected and running at very low resolution
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nv in ubuntu.