This is hitting both my home server and my work desktop hard.

I can freeze my 64 bit 12.04 desktop by opening a few windows (firefox,
thunderbird, rhythmbox) and holding down alt-tab for a few seconds.  My
home server is freezing about every 24-48 hours and my software RAID
isn't very happy about being constantly rebooted.

In some instances the mouse pointer can move, other times it is frozen.
Music continues to play but starts getting patchy.  The times where I
have had top open, system load skyrockets.

I'd love to help diagnose this, but am uncertain what info I can give
when things freeze up.  I can reproduce this freeze on demand.  What
diagnosic info can I give?

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently