@ Norm. That's bad. I wanted to try the 32 bit version as I encounter
the freezes with the 64 bit version. But if the 32 bit version does the
same than that's no way out. Did you try the 64 bit version as well?
It's necessary for the solution of this bug to know if both versions (64
and 32 bit) have this bug.

I will probably try the 32 bit version as live version and test if it
does have the same lock ups. If not I will install it and test it
further. I would still love to use Ubuntu 12.04 and I don't mind to use
the 32 bit version as the 64 bit doesn't really have any direct
advantages for me.

Strange that the importance of the bug is still undecided and has not
yet been assigned to anyone. 25 users that take the trouble to report
this bug must imply that there are at least hundreds, if not thousands
of users running into trouble with this bug. And this bug is a real show
stopper as it completely freezes the system! I ask my self what the
developers are doing? Are they asleep?

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently