I suffer the same fatal bug ( yes, Since it's been UDS these last week, the bug
might have passed unseen?).
A fatal bug that prevents even the advanced and experts from using Ubuntu 12.04
LTS as a Production machine and home desktop OS.
In my case, the system freezes completely with no ability to access console
mode. Every few hours.
My machine is a Dell XPS 15 L502X AMD64 (i7 Sandy Bridge - with Intel HD 3000 &
Nvidia GT525m).
Hard shutdown can be fatal for the HDD and the whole system. This can be enough
to mark the bug as being CRITICAL.

Nothing in the log file that indicates a reason for this bug.

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently