Yesterday I did test run Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit from CD without any updates
or closed source drivers. That went perfectly well: no hanging system,
good performance. I'd love to install 12.04 32 bit and see how it does
after taking the closed source nvidia drivers and updates, but I'm
affraid I have an completely useless system once again.

Problems with 64 bit version were also not there when test driving it
from CD as far as I can remember.  Has anybody tried to test his/her
system with a clean install without updates and then adding the updates
one by one? This could track down which update breaks 12.04 (if it is
related to updates installed after installation as I suspect). If we
know which update breaks Ubuntu it should be a bit easier to track down
the problem!?

Unfortunately I will not be able to test this in the coming 4 to 5 days.

Bug already scores 180 points but it seems we are still left alone by
the developers.

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently