Now again, seems to happen from time to time; the driver 295.49 is again
very unstable on my GeForce 7600 GS, and it completely freeze my machine
again now, AARGH. This driver is not usable, it can be stable for a long
time then just freeze the whole desktop. There is nothing to do than
hard reset the PC. Using the driver with xubuntu now, thinking of
removing it and falling down to default Nouveau driver. The pitfall
there is that the video/movie quality in videoplayers, flash etc. is
much more poor. But it's better than whole desktop freeze. ):

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  [regression] Nvidia 295.40 driver is extremely slow