Installed kernel 3.3.6 as suggested and now my system seems more stable.
Until now no lock ups. For those who are still suffering from this bug,
please try this. Comment #91 is the way to do it. Oh yeah of course the
command 'dpkg' needs to be sudo dpkg.

The only thing Ubuntu 12.04 still does is a present me with screen
flickering sometimes, but that's probably some other bug.

Shouldn't we change this bug? It is not related to the X-org package,
but I think we found out it's a problem in the current kernel. How can
we reach the kernel developers? Although kernel 3.3.6 solves the problem
we need someone to backport the fix, I think.

  ubuntu 12.04 64bit completely freezes frequently