I wish to confirm that with me the freezes sometimes happen when
watching videos. When this happens the cursor and keyboard respond. I am
able to open a terminal window and type in it but no actions releated to
the window manager such as moving windows or changing their size works.
As soon as the video playback finishes the system becomes responsive
again.

Linux LAP-DAVID 3.2.0-24-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 25 08:43:22 UTC
2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently