This is sooo nasty! When 12.04 LTS came out I thought that was supposed
to mean stability, so I've been trying Ubuntu again for my main
development machine. I like everything about it but THIS! I guess it
isn't Ubuntu's fault, but sure doesn't make me feel good about it.

uname -a
Linux marty-dev 3.2.0-26-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 17:49:24 UTC 2012
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't need a fancy graphics card, so maybe I should go buy an ati and
solve the problem like the one above if this doesn't get straightened
out very soon.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  Nvidia driver causes xorg crash