Those of us effected definitely need to share some notes. I'm using a
simple 2-port KVM switch with 2 sets of hardware:

Intel Atom CPU  230 @ 1.60GHz
Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics

VIA C7 CPU @ 1500MHz
VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro]

Only the Intel set is effected in Ubuntu Precise and Quantal, but it
works OK with either Xubuntu or Lubuntu Precise. It also works OK with
Ubuntu Oneiric.

The old P4M800 is not effected at all but it may be helpful to note that
when I open "Displays" in the Intel set it displays "HSD 19", whereas
when I open "Displays" in the VIA set it displays "Laptop". Naturally
it's not a laptop and the actual monitor is an 18.5" HannsG widescreen.

But I'd think that Ubuntu Precise, Lubuntu Precise, and Xubuntu Precise
all share the same Xorg packages, but certainly Ubuntu uses 'gnome-
screensaver' whereas Lubuntu and Xubuntu use 'xscreensaver' --- I think!

I may try downgrading 'gnome-screensaver' in a test install of Ubuntu
Precise to see what happens, not that I recommend it! Doing so may blow
things up badly :^(

I'd very much like to see this fixed in 12.04.1, or soon after ;^)

  Resolution change with KVM switch on Precise