I can't say much about the nvidia driver crashes, so this doesn't
directly address your question, but let me ask -

Have you tried running the open source nouveau driver, rather than
nvidia's?  It has improved a lot, recently.  I am not running a machine
with an nvidia card, right now, and I'm running Quantal anyway, so I'm
not sure how the version in 12.04 compares to the current releases of
the xorg nouveau server, and the driver in the kernel.

Running the xorg-edgers ppa:

  https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

might not be the smoothest long-term solution, but it might give you an
idea whether nouveau can serve your needs.  Thanks.

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in Ubuntu.

  xorg nvidia crashes, ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit