** Description changed:

- managed to get the monitor back on, it had this message "serious errors
- were found while checking the disk drive for /"
+ I've noticed that my monitor turns off at some point halfway during
+ booting.  I ignored the problem, since they always turned back on until
+ now.
+
+ With 12.10 my monitor wasn't turnning back on.  Eventually i managed to get
it turned back on with these steps, (nothing else worked)
+ 1. switch to the console ctrl+alt+f1 and turn off the monitor
+ 2. turn on the monitor
+ 3. switch back to the error with ctrl+alt+f7
+
+ at which point i realized had an error during booting.  it looked much
+ like this error: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/308/20110218153727.jpg
+
+ it had this message "serious errors were found while checking the disk
+ drive for /" which I later fixed by installing xfsprogs

  but the actual problem is that my monitor is getting put in suspend mode
- or something similar and never comes back on to display the error.  This
- is a problem, because there is no indication of anything bug a blank
- screen.
+ or "can't display this" mode  and never comes back on to display the
+ error.  This is a problem, because there is no indication of anything
+ bug a blank screen.  It's a HDMI monitor.

  I'm using an ATI 5750 card with a hanspree HF259H monitor.  Should be
  able to reproduce with any error on the splash screen.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.10
  Package: xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-13-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.5.1-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Thu Sep  6 13:36:09 2012
  InstallationMedia: Lubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Alpha amd64 (20120905.1)
  ProcEnviron:
-  TERM=xterm
-  PATH=(custom, no user)
-  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
-  SHELL=/bin/bash
+  TERM=xterm
+  PATH=(custom, no user)
+  LANG=en_US.UTF-8
+  SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: xorg

  "error during filesystem" turns off monitor, never comes back on