> Your proposal is very correct, no doubt. Does it mean that once your
> proposal is implemented all 3rd-party keyboard switchers (like those in
> Gnome and KDE) would have to be updated to make use of this new possibility?

As far as I understand, KDE and Gnome all use xkeyboard-config, and just
provide their own GUI.  If this is understanding is correct, the changes
to xkeyboard-config would be sufficient.

> Anyway, as i see it, there are two ways to go:
> 1) The long way - making things right and according to specification. This
> would take from very long to forever (this is the way we've been going for
> the last 8 years with this bug report).

Assuming the existing patch is correct, adding the additional check for
the flag is just a few lines.  The changes to xkeyboard-config would be
fairly simple.  Assuming we grab bit 3 for the new flag, in xkeyboard-
config/compat/iso9995, change the current definition:

  interpret ISO_Next_Group {
      useModMapMods= level1;
      virtualModifier= AltGr;
      action= LockGroup(group=+1);
  }

  interpret ISO_Next_Group {
      useModMapMods= level1;
      virtualModifier= AltGr;
      action= Private(type=6, data[0]=16, data[1]=1);
  }

(untested, of course), and similarly for ISO_Prev_Group,
ISO_First_Group, and ISO_Last_Group.  I do not know wether the action
bound to keysyms is standardised; even if it is not, it might be a good
idea to make the above redefinition conditional.

> 2) Take a short way - let the common sense win over specification and make
> everybody happy.

Believe it or not, I would be unhappy when the specification would be
broken.  Also  remember that the attitudes in this discussion are not
necessarily representative of all X users, as the users satisfied with
the current behaviour do not have any reason to even know about this
discussion.

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Keyboard layout change on hotkeys press instead of release and do not
  work well with shortcuts