Ouch.  Well...in that case, I'm not sure what to do on the Mesa
side...perhaps a point release of KWin could fix this?

For what it's worth, KWin from git master has the slowdown with the GLX
backend, but appears to work well with the EGL backend.  I imagine
that's because it uses eglChooseConfig, and doesn't request any samples,
so Mesa gives it a proper non-MSAA config.  It's just with GLX, where
KWin rolls its own algorithm, that there's a problem.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Desktop effects are slow and desktop corruption using mesa 9