I've pushed a patch to KWin that should fix the problem. The patch is in
both master and the 4.9 branch, so you should see it in 4.9.3. That
release will be tagged on Thursday.

@Rune: The GLX backend in KWin uses glXGetFBConfigs(), so the ordering
rules in the spec don't apply here. I've thought about rewriting that
code to use glXChooseFBConfig(), but I'm reluctant to touch working code
without a good reason. This bug might be enough of a reason to do that
though.

which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  Desktop effects are slow and desktop corruption using mesa 9