I am beginning to doubt that the bug is indeed in X, because I can not
reproduce it in pure X (without KDE or any other DE and any window manager,
starting it via xinit).
The holes in application windows and various graphical elements can appear only
after I launch manually 'plasma-desktop' (this loads desktop and panels, but
still no window manager). This suggests the bug may be actually located in
plasma. Is it reproducible using the Clemens' testcase in something else than
KDE (e.g. gnome)?

  Window redrawing does not work properly with KDE4 taskbar tooltips.