@renaud: your comment being out of place was already suggested in the
first six lines of this bug report, not only on comment #579.

The comments which should be posted in this thread are all about option
4.

YES, we DO experience LOTS of system lock-ups.
NO, whatever we do, i.e. change browser, change driver, change display effects,
heck, even change kernel, we STILL experience lock-ups.

like said: if you can still move the mouse, use the keyboard, TTY , SSH
or find any other means of a workaround, this thread is NOT the thread
to post in.

@canonical: how can I clean this up?

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.