For everyone still experiencing this problem on stock 12.04, have you
tried installing a newer kernel?

The easiest way to do this:

1. Use Software Center to find and install Synaptic Package Manager
2. Start synaptic from a terminal: sudo synaptic (it won't open from unity for
me *shrug*)
3. In the Quick filter box, type: 3.5.0-21
4. Select all 4 of the packages and click apply

linux-signed-image-3.5.0-21-generic
linux-image-3.5.0-21-generic
linux-headers-3.5.0-21-generic
linux-headers-3.5.0-21

The latest version as of the time of this writing is
3.5.0-21.32~precise1 seems to have fixed my problem.

Prior to installing this on my stock 12.04.1-desktop-amd64 install, I
was getting "true" hard freezes at least once a day with very light use.
I've been running the new kernel for a few days now without problem.

There are also other bugs tracking more specific hangs/freeze/lockups.
Example: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/999910

This bug seems to be all over the map, so for those of you trying to
find a solution, you might have better results searching further. Just a
suggestion. I know it's frustrating (and I was in the same boat) but
it's either that or live with it....

Regards...

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.