This affects me on an HP Envy 14 (intel + AMD 5650).

After installing fglrx I wasn't able to access my desktop.  I purged
fglrx and tried Andrikos' PPA, which didn't help.  After purging
everything, I was able to get LightDM up only after switching to the AMD
card via vgaswitcheroo.  But then logging into my account dumped me back
to lightdm again.  The only thing that worked was launching a Guest
desktop instance.

No amount of purging and downgrading could salvage my system, I had to
re-install 12.10.  I never installed fglrx on 12.04 so I can't say
whether this is a downgrade.  But the opensource radeon drivers on 12.10
seems like a downgrade because HDMI switching doesn't work for me.

I'll make another partition to do more testing, so if anyone wants to
see any console output/logs, let me know.

which is subscribed to the bug report.

  Low graphics mode in Hybrid ATI/Intel GPU systems after fglrx upgrade