thanks Bryce.
One question: this workaround results in a flip-flap between console mode /
graphical mode during boot, and a 5 to 20 seconds delay in the boot. This is
better than lightdm failing to start, but not the best we can aim...
So my question is: should I open another bug report, maybe mentioning EACCESS
error code ? Are we just going on with this workaround, waiting for Mir to fix
everything (and probably break some also :-) ) ?

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  X trying to start before plymouth has finished using the drm driver