The flip/flap I don't know about; this patch shouldn't *cause* that
afaict.  Maybe that relates to the underlying bug though.

The patch does cause a delay in the boot, just the nature of the beast.
However it's set to 2 sec.  If you're seeing a 5-20 sec delay, that's
longer than I would think it should be.  But again, maybe that relates
to the underlying bug.

Despite what apw and slangasek said earlier, I can find no sign of where
EACCES would come from.  The code doesn't appear to be passing it, and
as seen in the logs there's no evidence of it appearing in X.  Makes me
wonder if there's a kernel patch missing or something.  Fact is we
really don't understand what the kernel is doing behind the scenes here.

I don't think we need another bug opened.  While the xserver task for
this bug is closed, there is still a task open against the kernel.  I am
hopeful we can get some of their time to help on this.

I'm not sure what the next step for this bug should be.  It would
probably help to develop a synthetic test case, so that developers can
repro the problem 100% locally.  mlankhorst took a shot at this today
but found his experiments just exposed other unrelated kernel bugs.
I've suggested he and apw brainstorm on this.

Regarding Mir - near as I can tell this is *not* an X bug.  It's
something lower down.  We're just trying to paper over the underlying
problem at the X layer.  So, it would not surprise me at all that this
same issue will hit Mir.  But Mir has a much cleaner design for graphics
bring up, so maybe not.

which is subscribed to libdrm in Ubuntu.

  X trying to start before plymouth has finished using the drm driver