This bug is killing me long long years... I had the same problem with R61e, now
I have thinkpad L520. If I remember correctly, this bug is there miminally
since 8.04 or 7.10 (maybe 7.04?) when I began to use ubuntu.
It's absolutely irritating and frustrating to have mouse freezed sometimes 3
times per 10 minutes. I am lucky I am using much more keyboard than "mouse"
(trackpoint, touchpad). Otherwise could be ubuntu absolutely useless for me.
Today was this bug upgraded. In attached dmesg it's last row:
psmouse serio5: Failed to enable mouse on synaptics-pt/serio0.
Cursor completely disappeared. I can not imagine, what would do beginner user...

** Attachment added: "deadmouse.dmesg.log"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/+bug/896922/+attachment/3743393/+files/deadmouse.dmesg.log

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Lenovo L520 - "psmouse.c: touchpad at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost sync"
  and stops working for seconds