FYI : I made several test with an other flavor of ubuntu: crunchbang 9.04.1.
This release is based on jaunty, with openbox interface. The brightness control
works...and the volume control doesn't anymore ! Suspend mode is ok.
Maybee an xorg problem then. I will try openbox or xfce or something else
rather than gnome on Ubuntu Jaunty. I will inform if I found something more
substantial.
Amazing to see how this bug on a little functionality  (brightness) can
transform your laptop into a useless brick :)
Hope these infos can help...
Philippe

--
[i965GM] Display brightness completely dimmed after waking up from suspend
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.