Short story: About four days ago I installed the Nvidia-current display
driver and removed the Nouveau display driver and my system has not
frozen

 Long story: To remove the “Nouveau display driver” first install the
“Nvidia-Current” display driver.
 I ran into trouble because I removed the Nouveau -specific kernel DRM services
-runtime and the “system settings” stopped working. Then I ran into more
trouble because I removed the Nouveau display driver before installing the
Nvidia-Current. Somehow I was able to go to a shell and installed the
Nvidia-current driver with sudo apt-get -install nvidia-current (or something
like that). That made the graphics work but still the “system settings” did not
work. I reinstalled the Nouveau -specific kernel DRM services -runtime and the
“system settings' still did not work. I found out that I needed to install or
reinstall de Gnome-Control-Center and I did using “sudo apt-get -reinstall
gnome-control-center” or “sudo apt-get -install gnome-control-center”. Since I
kept uninstalling and reinstalling the “runtime”, the “reinstall” worked at one
point but then it didn't so I finally used the “install”. My system has been
working fine since then and has not frozen, but I'm not using the Nouveau
Display Driver

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  computer freeze trying to exit "gnome-control-center"