I fresh installed Ubuntu 13.10, so it was using free drivers by default. And it
crashed when I tried to change brightness rapidly. So I think the bug is not
present in fglrx-installer. Now I am using AMD drivers, but my brightness
control doesn't work properly, it either increases or decreases after pressing
the key many times, the progress bar in indicator is displayed correctly but
brightness changes randomly.
After echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog, crash doesn't occur.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  brightness adjusting crashes system