I have the same problem as described by many in this thread. Ubuntu-
studio v13.10, kernel 3.11.0-13-generic

MSI GE40, NVIDIA GeForce 760M, nvidia-319 & nvidia-331 both cause
problems with nvidia-prime (muxless system)

GUI will completely lockup randomly & infrequently... mouse/keyboard
doesn't visually update, but I think things continue to happen (just
doesn't update on the screen). Switching to a text terminal
(ctrl+alt+f2) FIXES the problem and things resume normally (until the
next lockup).

Hoping for a fix!

  Ubuntu 13.10 random screen freeze while Normal OS activites