David Ayers, thank you for providing the requested information. Regarding your
comments:
>"Thanks, put proprietary drivers are not a option for me. I'd rather stick
>with the external cooling."

Fair enough.

>"Despite the error messages, the ubuntu-one files seem to by syncing
now. And the psensor preference changes took effect after I killed the
process and restarted it. So'll still continue test with this image. Yet
it will take a few hours before enough files are synchronized to cause
the ubuntuone-sync daemon to saturate the CPU after logging in."

As a WORKAROUND, would governoring the CPU, in addition to the low
power_profile provide further heat reduction via:
sudo apt-get -y install gnome-applets && sudo cpufreq-selector --cpu=0
--governor=powersave && sudo cpufreq-selector --cpu=1 --governor=powersave

>"You added a 'needs-full-computer-model' tag, yet you have added the
computer model int eh summary title. Was this some automation mechanism,
or do you need some more information? I will still attempt to execute
the apport-collect command."

Nope, just manual mis-tag on my part.

As well, would powertop tunables provide further reduced power
consumption noted in
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PowerManagement/ReducedPower ?

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in Ubuntu.

  1002:9552 [Compaq Presario CQ61-320EG Notebook PC] CPU Overheating
  with ATI driver Radeon HD Mobility graphics