A few people confirmed that their system always sends keycode 87 for
keypad 1/End, independently of NumLock's state. They don't face this
bug.

I've connected an external keyboard to my laptop and that one also
always sends 87, as opposed to the built-in one.

Really looks like we're facing some broken keyboards.

Anyway, X's behavior is still not reasonable. When NumLock is on,
changing the layout and then pressing a modifier shouldn't trigger the
keyboard's brain-damaged "geez, NumLock went off, let me alter the
keycodes" mode, since NumLock didn't turn off at all.

  NumLock turned off on layout switch