@Patrick So, if you boot with nomodeset kernel parameter you can't wake
from suspend? I tried yesterday Sabayon Linux 14.05. They use the binary
blob as default when possible, if they can't use binary blob they
fallback to X.org radeon driver. The same behavior should be for nouveau
and binary nVIDIA blob, but I don't know if nVIDIA is still suppporting
your video card on Linux. I think nomodeset+binary AMD blob will fix the
problem for most of AMD users. It's just a workaround of course and only
an option if you don't mind using proprietary software.

On the other hand, you may try the VESA driver just to see if suspend
works and spot the problem. As the guy who reported this bug I'm
convinced we due the problem to some X.org driver(s). Are you still with
Mint Xfce 13? If so, try booting Sabayon Linux 14.05 on a live session
and... well, good luck.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 14.04 blank screen after wakeup from sleep