Hi Christopher - thanks for following this up.

As the machine was a dual boot with Windows Vista (32 bit) I rebooted
the machine into Windows to perform the BIOS upgrade.  I ran the .exe
file you pointed me at, then ran the 32-bit version of flash.bat from a
DOS prompt. The old BIOS was erased and the new one appeared to be
written ok. Then the machine was shut down by the program.  However it
won't boot up again!  All I get when I switch the PC on is a low humming
noise that lasts indefinitely.  I see nothing at all on the screen - no
BIOS info, nothing.  I'm writing to you from a different machine now.

So it strongly looks like the BIOS upgrade failed:(.  I have to go to
work now but I'm hoping you'll be able to advise me on how to recover
the machine when I get back. Presumably there's some way of getting a
BIOS onto a new PC before any OS is installed since the BIOS has to be
there first?  I'm happy to try with the new BIOS again, or, if that
fails, somehow get hold of the original BIOS version again. But right
now my smoothly working machine has been transformed into an almost dead
lump of metal:(.

Thanks, Lucas.

  Ubuntu 14.04 system with Radeon HD 6330M hangs regularly, especially
  when using Google Chrome