Luis's fried graphics card might have been a red herring. I am getting
what appears to be the same problem; "GPU lockup - switching to software
fbcon" on an Asus "P4C800 Deluxe" motherboard with XFX GF 7600 GS
graphics card.

I am getting this problem with Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop LTS in a very easy-
to-reproduce way: Boot normally, then just wait: about 8 minutes after
boot completes, the time display stops incrementing. When I switch to
the text console (CTL-ALT-F1), it reports "GPU lockup - switching to
software fbcon" before the login prompt.

A COUPLE OF WORKAROUNDS:

I discovered a temporary work-around, too: if I enter the text console
via <CTL-ALT-F1> immediately after the desktop comes up and then return
to the desktop via <CTL-ALT-F7>, then I don't encounter the lock-up.

Another work-around for my system: the problem went away after
installing generic i386 kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-
ppa/mainline/v4.1-rc1-vivid/

I believe this to be related to another issue with a crash in the
nouveau driver and the exact same work-arounds that I described when I
filed the problem report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1449299

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Constant GPU Lock-ups with Ubuntu 14.04 13.04 and 13.10