I know this may be an useless comment, but I managed to get here only
when I selected another kernel and found fglrx working.

I found weird Xorg log, found weird DKMS module build log (yes, why
doesn't APT get an error on building? We could notice the disaster far,
far earlier!), selected to let apport report an error and found this one
already reported (I restart my machine once a month or like that
usually, so no idea when I'd run into that other way.

It took several hours of going in almost blind (I installed updates, not
much other stuff — what could be my path if I changed many packages in
the system, I only could guess), my luck was that I want to found the
answer. Not willing that thing to any novice, seriously.

which is subscribed to fglrx-installer-updates in Ubuntu.

  SRU request: fglrx.ko fails because of backported GPL-only
  'pci_ignore_hotplug' symbol